Sunday 2 May 2010

RED VELVET CUPCAKES - HUMMINGBIRD STYLE


Check out my delish Red Velvet cupcakes!  Im so proud.
I have been literally obsessed with the Hummingbird Bakery on Wardour street. I can't stop thinking about it and have eaten red Velvet Cupcakes 3 days in a row now. Im going to get my self the Recipe book.
Yesterday, we were stuck inside due to the untimely rain, not pleasant on a bank hoiday weekend. What better way to make the most of being inside than to host a dinner party! I was on cupcake duty and I wanted to give Red Velvets a go.

These are really popular at the moment and I found the Hummingbird recipe online. I used a hand blender to mix everything and it was super easy. The frosting was awesome, it really makes a difference to use an electric blender, it made it really fluffy and creamy. I used one cupcake to test and to crumble as decoration on top of the frosting. Pretty sure thats what they do in the store.
I have to say its quite stressful baking, you need to make it exact. I think I could give it another go though. They tasted like cupcakes and they were all gone by the end of the night. Next baking mission will be Whoopie pies, yum!

I think the cassis we were drinking is an excellant accompaniment to the cupcakes. This one is really syrupy and sweet. I got it on a trip to Bourgogne last year. It goes will with desserts and Champagne for Kia royales!

 I've included the recipe below which is the Hummingbird Recipe via Gourmet Chick 
Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook

Ingrediants
60g butter at room temperature
1 egg
150g caster sugar
10g cocoa
10ml red food colouring
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
120ml buttermilk
150g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
Frosting
300g icing sugar, sifted
50g butter at room temperature
125g cream cheese, chilled
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.

2. Cream the butter, egg and sugar until light and fluffy.

3. In a separate bowl mix the cocoa powder, food colouring and vanilla extract. Once mixed add to the creamed mixture.

4. Mix carefully until combined and then add half the buttermilk, mix further and add half the flour and the baking powder. Mix thoroughly before adding the remainder of the buttermilk and flour and mixing further.

5. Add the white wine vinegar, bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix thoroughly for at least 5 mins.

6. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins or until the cupcakes spring back slightly when touched.

7. Allow the cupcakes to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire cooling rack.

8. In the meantime, to make the frosting cream the icing sugar and butter together until well mixed.

9. Add the cream cheese and mix until it is incorporated. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy for at least 5 mins.

10. Use a spatula to layer the frosting on top of the cupcakes

I loved making these so much, I've decided to make more!
mmmm, Vanilla Cupcakes with a more traditional pink icing (icing sugar, butter, milk, vanilla and a bit of red food colouring) and some with pink cream cheese icing..
You can find this recipe on the Gourmet chick blog as with the Red Velvets.
Hooray for cupcakes!




3 comments:

Em said...

OMG - NEED, WANT, LOVE. They look so good! x.

Bex said...

Thanks Em, will bake them for you x

Jill said...

Yea - a European recipe for these - haven't been able to make them without the buttermilk! I grew up on Red Velvet cake down South...

Post a Comment