Thursday 5 May 2011

SYDNEY FOOD ADVENTURES



Some of my favourite foody memories are pretty simple like I love Boost Juice smoothies. I know its a smoothie chain, whats so special but its all about memories. Going to the movies on a Sunday Nick and I would pick up an All Berry Bang Boost juice. Frozen strawberry and raspberries mixed with vanilla yogurt and milk. Second choice would be the mango madness with mango nectar and frozen mango. So refreshing, so unnecessary in chilly old London but really so perfect in Oz.


A good coffee, which can pretty much can be found anywhere in Sydney I think. This flat white was the first of many on my trip and it bought a smile to my face. Just looking at it I relaxed and felt at home.


My first stop on my Sydney adventure was Bills 1 in Darlinghurst. The restaurant Nick and I credit as inspiration for our brunch club. The first thing I ate in Sydney this time was his ricotta hotcakes with banana, maple syrup and honeycomb butter dusted with icing sugar. Its like a light fluffy sweet cloud in my mouth. So amazingly good, I think its the best pancakes I've ever had. Love love love these. Bills corn fritters with avocado salsa are what we like to include always in our brunch menu, to me they are quintessentially the antipodean brunch dish.


Thai food. I used to live in Newtown and King Street is wall to wall Thai restaurants. Some of my old favourites are still there, Newtown Thai 2 for instance. Nothing beats a Red Duck curry with lychees and pineapple, wow. I have yet to find Thai food in London that lives up to Sydney standards. I might go as far to say I preferred the Sydney Thai to the real deal in Thailand.

The seafood here is without a doubt better than London, Sydney's on the coast of course. Its a way of life for people here. At Sushi Train on King Street the Salmon sashimi was mouthwatering fresh. At the St George motor boat club overlooking Kogarah bay where I ate lunch with my family the majority of dishes on the table consisted of calamari and lobster. I had my first taste ever of lobster which was creamy and covered with cheese! I thought it was great I'll be trying it again.



.


Something new I've discovered which reminds me of Broadway market in London is the Eveliegh markets in the old carriage works in Redfern. A weekly food market with stalls of coffee, freshly baked bread, organic produce, sweet treats, fresh juices and much more. We found a stall by Kylie Kwong, a well known Sydney chef, she collaborates with Bill Granger (of Bills) with the Surry Hills modern Asian fusion restaurant Billy Kwongs. At Kylies market stall she was preparing pork and vegetable dumplings and pancakes filled with omelette and fresh vegetables. Really fresh tasty dishes, simple but bought to life by the quality of the ingredients.




Since I started writing this blog post I've already added so much more to my food adventures in Sydney. I've spent 3 days eating my way down the South coast of NSW and as the sun shines brightly through my window I'm preparing to skip down to Circular Quay and catch the ferry to Watsons bay, sit in the pub overlooking the stunning harbour and do what I do best, eat and drink! So this is just a taster of my trip, much more to come.

bex


0 comments:

Post a Comment