Tuesday 20 April 2010

PICHET & IL PRIMO; 6 NIGHTS IN DUBLIN

Thats me and Will with Nick Munier at his restaurant Pichet in Dublin. I went there for Lunch on Sunday.

Why was I there? Well on Tuesday last week I went to Dublin for a 2 night stay, to attend a meeting, 6 nights later I managed to leave Dublin via ferry and 3 trains. This was thanks largely to the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull (ay-yah-FYAH'-plah-yer-kuh-duhl) in Iceland and the susequent closure of airspace over the UK, Ireland and Western Europe. I've wanted to explore Dublin, in a touristy way but whilst on a holiday I planned for.  It’s a different feeling when you packed for 2 nights and have no idea when you might be home. But I made the most of this opportunity I saw caught Kick Ass at the cinema, (excellent!) tried a Black Velvet cocktail (thats Guinness and Champagne) tasted some fine Irish Whiskey (Jameson post coming soon) and walked through Trinity college on a beautiful sunny spring day. AND I tasted some wonderful food. Dublin is full of wonderful restaurants and I ate at 2 particularly good ones.

Sorry for the photos, they aren't very good this time, I didn't have the SLR as I wasn't expecting to be taking all these photos.

Pichet
Pichet is run by Nick Munier, the maitre d from Marco Pierre Whites, Hells Kitchen!
It was a real treat. A sophisticated restaurant, worthy of high praise. The staff were very good, able to discuss the menu with detailed knowledge and suggest the best dishes to us. I didn’t find it too stuffy or formal. The decor was pleasant, I love the blue chairs, very nautical.

What I ate
To start – Potato Gnocchi, marinated mozzarella, cherry vine tomatoes and basil juices.
This was highly recommended, the gnocchi melted in my mouth, the tomato flavour was perfect with my Bloody Mary. I didn't find it too filling as a starter due to the subtle flavours accompanying the gnocchi.

To follow – Veal steak with parsnip puree, hand cut chips, aged grapes, tiny cauliflower, bacon bits, pea shoots (this wasn’t on the menu so I can’t be exact about the description). Wow, the veal was cooked medium rare, it was huge, I couldn't eat it all. the toppings were tasty, I loved the grape and parsnip flavours with the veal, sort of sweet and savory at the same time.

To finish – Eton Mess with lemon curd and strawberries
My first Eton Mess ever, YUM. Soft merangue, not too crunchy, creamy. The lemon and strawberries meant it was sweet and tart at the same time. Just delicious.

Pichet is a fine dining experience, only open for the last 9 months, we were able to get a table for Sunday lunch without a reservation however a dinner reservation should be made around 4 weeks in advance.  After the lunch we introduced ourselves to Nick Munier and thanked him for lunch.

The price for a 3 course lunch and wine was 70euros each, including our cocktail and bottle of perfect Marlborough Lake Chalice Pinot Noir & service.


Il Primo
A cute, authentic Italian restaurant around the corner from our hotel at Stephens Green. The staff were very attentive and knowledgeable and they helped us to select the best of the menu. I also loved their descriptions of the wine, very detailed.

What I ate 
 To start - Marinated sirloin strips with rocket and gorgonzola. The marinade was made with balsamic, Dijon mustard, olive oil tobacco and basil. The steak was cooked medium rare and it was delicious.

To follow – Seafood Risotto made with salmon, smoked haddock, hake, cod and prawns. It looks a bit orange and orange food isn't usually that appealing, but the taste more than made up for it. It was flavoursome, peppery, with a tomato and parmesan base.

To finish – I had a dessert wine with biscotti. The wine tasted like a caramelly, sweet liquid. Not too filling after an Italian meal, perfect.

For a simple, reasonably priced no fuss dinner I really enjoyed this. Its great and I’d recommend it to anyone visiting Dublin.


4 comments:

Claire B said...

I like the look of that dessert wine! xx

James C said...

The Veal From Pichet looks excellent. The hand cut chips look like whole potatoes! Were they deep fried or baked?

Bex said...

I would say those were baked... they didn't seem very oily and they were huge! The whole dish was, I couldn't eat the whole veal steak. So good though :)

Simon David said...

My brain is tormenting me to have of this mouth watering dishes right now.

Pizzeria In Dublinh

Post a Comment